I have received news that the California DNC delegation is holding an important DNC Chair conference call on Sunday, January 29 to discuss the latest developments in the race and hear your thoughts.
For those with a progressive alignment, look to the Justice Democrat’s platform and the criticism that Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton received:
- Passing a constitutional amendment and/or legislation in opposition to Washington corruption and in support of election reform. Look to the now endangered South Dakota Measure 22 that (a) required additional disclosures and increased reporting, (b) limited contributions and gifts to and from political action committees; political parties; and candidates for statewide, legislative, or county office, (c) prohibits certain State officials and high-level employees from lobbying until two years after leaving State government.
- Re-regulating Wall Street and holding white-collar criminals accountable. One common solution often proposed by progressives is re-instating a 21st century Glass-Steagall legislation. Eskow of Friends of Bernie Sanders argues that the repeal of the four provisions took a role in the 2008 financial crisis and has created risky, less transparent banks that are “too big to fail”.
- End corporate tax dodging; people must pay their fair share, and it is more than civil disobedience for corporations to rely on offshore tax havens. We, as a country, lose out of billions in revenue that could be used to supplement our schools, infrastructure, government, etc.
- Defend free speech and expression and must not shut down ideas based on talking points, but oppose bigotry. Clinton staff often would cite sexism in the Sanders camp, and to this day, news outlets continue to demonize Trump voters rather than communicate. Make no mistake; President Donald Trump has used outrageous, disgusting rhetoric, but this “No such thing as a Trump voter” mentality is ridiculous. For more information, read near the end of my critique of Jamelle Bouie’s article There’s No Such Thing as a Good Trump Voter.
- Ensure universal health care as a right, or at the very least amend the Affordable Care Act in a balanced manner. A recipient of popular public support within the country, England’s National Health Service provides healthcare to all permanent residents of the United Kingdom that is free at the point of use and paid for from general taxation, but allows for a private option for those willing to pay.
- End unnecessary spending in war, nation building, and the Pentagon. Craig Whitlock and Bob Woodward of the Washington Post report that the Pentagon buried evidence of $125 billion in “administrative waste in its business operations”, undermining the myth that our defense is starving. This is beyond a partisan position; this is a matter of cost-effectiveness.
For more information on the Justice Democrats’ platform, click here.
However, if you have similar ideas or wish simply to offer input for the California DNC, check at this link here: https://www.facebook.com/events/236347136775558/. You not only could call into (855)-756-7520 Ext. 34324# at 7:00pm on the 29th, but register to be part of the would like to be a part of the event and have the system call you automatically when it begins at https://goo.gl/forms/Xc3QDfPMBKjGqErP2.